Wednesday, January 30, 2013

projects

Having about a month off of work from the middle of December to the middle of January gave me some time to think about (and start to execute :)) some of the little projects I want to get done before baby #2.

Top of the list was repainting our bedroom.  For some reason we picked a carmel brown when we first moved in.  No offense to brown, but it is just not pleasing for my eyes to look at everyday.  The color darkened the room and I was ready for something fresh.
The new color of choice:  gray.  Of course.  How does one get away from painting every room in their house some shade of gray/blue?  Only the bathrooms in our house have escaped that color palette.  But I like it, so I'm good with my gray house.

Here is a before pic of our bedroom:

blah, brown

And the much improved newly painted walls:

love, love, love it!
We did stripes on just the wall behind our bed and the rest of the room is the color of the gray stripe.  I didn't go about making the stripes the most practical way... but then Chad intervened and got me on the right track.  It still took about two hours to draw the lines (Chad got the whole room painted gray in the time it took me to do the stripes :)).  At the end Chad thought of using chalk lines.. oops.  We'll have to remember that for next time.


Another little project I wanted to do is make a alphabet book out of pics of Beck (an idea I saw on pinterest).  I got a coupon from Shutterfly and decided to go for it.  I hadn't thought about it for long and didn't have great pics planned out, so some of the letters were a little tricky to match up with words.  But it was really fun to make!  I was pretty proud of my creation until Chad pointed out yesterday that I forgot "J"!  Really?  How did I forget a letter of the alphabet?!  I went over the pages and letters many, many times.  Hum... I don't think I have a picture that works for "J" anyway. :)
Beck likes looking at the pics of himself and his family/friends, all while reinforcing his alphabet... a couple positives about the book.  I also thought it would be a fun gift, if you had enough pics of the right people to use.

Here's a couple sample pages:





5 comments:

leah said...

love that wall! it looks awesome!

and i cracked p about the left out "J" word. hehehe. :)

Linda said...

Love the Alphabet book idea! So cute! Your room looks great too :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Oh...Just slip a paper cross in between the I and K pages and talk about Jesus. ;) It will stand out as something quite different from the other pages...and kids like invisible/unexpected. ;) The book is super cute and I like the stripes too. :)

Ashton said...

I really want to do an alphabet book like that. Such a great idea. Now let's see if it ever happens.:) I haven't managed to print a single picture book of Poppy since she's been born, besides one that I gave away as a gift. So pathetic.

And I love the new stripes in your room and Beck's. Very cute!

Heather Hoerr said...

Great idea about the cross An - love it. :)